Armored Core is a third-person shooter mecha video game series developed by FromSoftware. The series centers on a silent protagonist who takes on work as a mercenary pilot in the far future, operating large robot combat units known as Armored Cores at the behest of corporate and private clients. As the player completes missions for these clients, they gain credits to improve their Armored Core and unlock further opportunities to make money. Some games include an “Arena” mode in which the player fights other Armored Core pilots in head-to-head battles, which can reward the player with further income or prestige.
Armored Core History
The first Armored Core game was released in 1997 for the PlayStation. It was a critical and commercial success, and spawned a long-running series that has seen over 20 releases on a variety of platforms. The series has been praised for its deep customization options, challenging gameplay, and immersive worldbuilding.
Armored Core Gameplay
Armored Core games are typically played from a third-person perspective. The player controls an Armored Core, which is a large, customizable mech. Armored Cores can be equipped with a variety of weapons, including machine guns, cannons, missiles, and laser beams. They can also be equipped with different types of armor and shields.
The player must use their Armored Core to complete missions, which can involve defeating enemies, destroying targets, or escorting allies. Missions can be completed in a variety of ways, and the player is free to experiment with different strategies and tactics.
Armored Core Customization
One of the key features of the Armored Core series is its deep customization options. The player can customize their Armored Core in a variety of ways, including:
- Choosing a frame, which is the basic structure of the Armored Core. Different frames have different strengths and weaknesses.
- Equipping weapons, armor, and shields. There are a wide variety of weapons, armor, and shields to choose from, each with its own unique properties.
- Tuning the Armored Core’s performance. The player can adjust the Armored Core’s speed, agility, and durability to their liking.
This level of customization allows the player to create an Armored Core that is perfectly suited to their playstyle.
Armored Core Worldbuilding
The Armored Core series is set in a dystopian future where corporations and private militaries hold more power than governments. The player character is a mercenary pilot who takes on work from any client who can pay.
The series features a rich and complex world, with its own unique history and mythology. The games explore themes of war, corporate greed, and the human condition.
Armored Core Legacy
The Armored Core series has had a significant impact on the video game industry. It is widely considered to be one of the most influential mecha game series ever made. The series has also been praised for its challenging gameplay and deep customization options.
The Armored Core series has had a direct influence on FromSoftware’s other popular video game series, Dark Souls and Elden Ring. These games share many similarities with the Armored Core series, including their challenging gameplay, deep customization options, and dark and atmospheric worlds.
Armored Core Recent Developments
The most recent entry in the Armored Core series, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, was released in 2023. It is the first Armored Core game to be released in over a decade.
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon has been praised by critics for its return to the series’ roots. The game features deep customization options, challenging gameplay, and a dark and atmospheric world.
The success of Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon suggests that there is still a strong demand for Armored Core games. It is possible that we will see more Armored Core games released in the future.
Here are some additional details about the Armored Core series:
- The series has been released on a variety of platforms, including the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, Windows, and mobile phones.
- There have been over 20 Armored Core games released, including several spin-offs.
- The Armored Core series has been praised for its deep customization options, challenging gameplay, and immersive worldbuilding.
- The series has had a significant impact on the video game industry, and is considered to be one of the most influential mecha game series ever made.
Popular Armored Core Games
- Armored Core (1997)
- Armored Core: Master of Arena (1999)
- Armored Core 3 (2002)
- Armored Core: Nexus (2004)
- Armored Core V (2012)
- Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon (2023)
The Armored Core series is a long-running and influential mecha video game series. The series is known for its deep customization options, challenging gameplay, and immersive worldbuilding. The most recent entry in the series, Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon, was released in 2023 to critical acclaim.
If you are a fan of mecha games, or if you are looking for a challenging and rewarding video game experience, then the Armored Core series is definitely worth checking out.